5-HTP, the intermediate metabolite between the amino acid L-tryptophan and serotonin, is extracted from the seed of an African plant (Griffonia simplicifolia). 5-HTP readily crosses the blood-brain barrier and increases central nervous system (CNS) synthesis of serotonin. Serotonin can affect sleep, appetite, temperature, sexual behaviour, and pain sensation. Serotonin also has a significant role in depression, anxiety, and aggression. 5-HTP is one of the few approved natural therapies for fibromyalgia with the possibility of reducing pain severity, morning stiffness, and sleeplessness. 5-HTP has been shown to increase neurotransmitting catecholamines such as dopamine and norepinephrine that are synthesized from tyrosine. There is speculation that increasing the availability of tyrosine to the brain allows increased neurotransmitter synthesis, which helps to counter the negative effects of stress. The addition of B-vitamins to this formula provides additional synergistic effects as they enhance the metabolism of amino acids.
- 5-HTP is an intermediate metabolite between the amino acid L-tryptophan and serotonin
- Helps to support healthy mood balance
- Reduces symptoms of fibromyalgia
Directions for Use:
- Adult Dosage
- Fibromyalgia: Take 1 capsule 2 times daily with food. Use for a minimum of 2 weeks to see beneficial effects.
- Mood balance: Take 1 capsule 1-2 times daily with food. Use for a minimum of 1 week to see beneficial effects.
- To minimize the risk of gastrointestinal side effects, slowly increase dose to effective levels over a period of 2 weeks. For use beyond 1 year consult a health care practitioner.